A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Belated Debuts

I had to cover a nightshift on Tuesday night so night became day and day became night for me and I missed some debuts yesterday.

Sorry about the poor quality of the photos. I was running around the yard in my pajamas this morning (I’m not the only one who does that, right?) while the coffee was brewing. I was trying to get an early start so that I would have time to mow the lawn and water the gardens before heading back to work this afternoon.

Belle de Crecy, one of the roses I purchased on sale at Home Depot last year has bloomed.


She was described as being “very double”. I wasn’t sure what that meant. I think I do now.

Mme. Plantier has literally burst into bloom. Two days ago there were only a very few blooms open. Today, there are hundreds.


I used to worry about allowing her to sprawl like that. Then I read Restoring American Gardens and saw a photo of Mme. Plantier happily sprawling in a garden long ago. If you are looking for a very fragrant, shade tolerant rose, this is the one for you. The back of my house only gets a few hours of sun in the mornings. It is in deep shade the rest of the day. Despite those difficult conditions, she has grown to about 8’ (2.5m) wide.

After the bearded iris and then the Japanese iris, the Siberian iris finishes the iris season. This one is my favorite. I planted it so long ago that I don’t remember the name


My other, nameless Siberian iris is a prolific bloomer.

Hmmm . . . that looks vaguely familiar. Where have I seen this before? I’ve noticed a few other anomalies like this. Plants that I purchased years ago that were mis-labelled by the sellers. I do more research now before purchasing plants and seeds so I am more adept at spotting those that are not labeled correctly.

5 Comments:

At 3:50 PM, Blogger Colleen Vanderlinden said...

LOL I'm just relieved to find out that I'm not the only one guilty of tiptoeing around in my garden in my PJs!

 
At 1:55 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

You are living up to your name now that the roses are starting to flower. ;-) Mme Plantier is gorgeous! No problems with the squirrels eating this rose?

Belle de Crecy is also beautiful, I like the shape of her flowers. Does she have a scent?

I like your siberian irises a lot and am thinking of buying a few myself in autumn.

Have a wonderful weekend!

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

"Very double" indeed! Wow, she's a floozy--in a good way. :)

 
At 1:41 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Colleen, I try to confine my exhibitionism to weekday mornings after everyone else has left for work.

Yolanda Elizebet, I have lost a few smaller roses to squirrels.

Kim, and she smells great too!

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Ki said...

Beautiful color on the irises. It seems as though the sellers/packers are getting more careless in mis-labeling plants and bulbs. What you thought you were buying is not what you always get. Sometimes it's and nice surprise but more often a disappointment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home