A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Green Thumb Sunday

Join




Several years ago, before I started keeping records, I ordered two daylilies, one that was supposed to be white with a green center for the (now defunct) Green Garden and one that was supposed to be purple for the Purple Garden. The white one didn’t survive its first winter and when I saw no sign of the purple one amongst the asters where it was supposed to provide color until the asters bloomed, I assumed that it also did not survive.

This spring, I noticed distinctive daylily foliage growing among the asters. Then a flower stalk with actual buds appeared. It kept me in suspense for days. Today, it finally bloomed.

The photo is deceptive. In person, it is a muddier, orangier color. Quite ugly, in my opinion. I definitely like the picture better!

Gardeners, Plant and Nature lovers can join in every Sunday, visit As the Garden Grows for more information.

2 Comments:

At 8:24 AM, Blogger Gina said...

It looks beautiful, from the picture. What kind of records should I be keeping?

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Gina, it's different for everyone. In this case, I have no idea where I got it from, what it's called or when I planted it. so depending on what kind of info you need, that's the kind of records you should keep. I've started keeping detailed records of what seeds, bulbs and plants I order every year including where I got it from and where I planted it. Anyone else want to chime in about the kind of records they keep and help Gina out with some ideas?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home