A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Monday, June 25, 2007

What's New?

I love trying new flowers every year. I planted tiger lilies last fall that were supposed to bloom in different colors. Very few of the bulbs came up, victims of the voracious squirrels perhaps. The ones that did come up have all budded and the first to bloom is orange:

The tangle of foliage in the background are Canterbury bells and yarrow. I’m pretending that it’s a cottage garden look rather than just a mess.

Also new this year is some lantana I bought at the Spring Sale at Rutgers Gardens specifically for my new Butterfly and Hummingbird Garden. It hasn’t grown much, but it is finally blooming.


The first flowers on the Empress of India nasturtium, an heirloom, have opened in the same garden.


I love the blossoms of the anise hyssop in the Purple Garden.


It follows the lambs ear perfectly. I grew this from seed but I only have a few. It’s on my list for wintersowing next year.

Here’s an interesting mystery.


I allowed the Sweet rocket to go to seed but instead it decided to bloom again. Has this happened to anyone else?

1 Comments:

At 8:09 AM, Blogger Ki said...

You have an unusual lamb's ears. I love the bracts as much as the flowers themselves.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home