A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Green Thumb Sunday

Join



Being a conscientious pet owner, I want nothing but the best for my furkids. Growing organic catnip is a no-brainer. It’s taken a few years to get it established in my yard. First there was a neighbor’s outdoor cat who adored rolling in and thereby destroying my plants. Then I tried growing it in a container. That kept the cat out but not the squirrels who loved digging on the pot. Catnip is tough, though and a couple of plants managed to survive. They are now growing amongst some iris. I don’t know what it is about the iris that keeps the animals out but so far it is working.

Every year, the Master Gardeners have leftover plants from their sales and I picked up some Lemon catnip (Nepeta cataria citriodora) last year. It’s thriving despite being planted in an open area in the border along the Ugly Green Fence. Even the stray cat who’s feeding station was established right next to it (it was winter and I forgot the lemon catnip was there) has been ignoring it.

It’s now blooming exuberantly. I think of herbs in terms of foliage and am always pleasantly surprised at how beautiful the flowers are.


Gardeners, Plant and Nature lovers can join in every Sunday, visit As the Garden Grows for more information.

6 Comments:

At 1:26 AM, Blogger LostRoses said...

My catnip must not be Lemon because it sure isn't as pretty as yours, though it certainly is abundant. I'm sure your cats (strays and otherwise)thank you!

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

I'm hoping this year to have enough to dry and stuff into toys for my furballs.

 
At 4:00 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Hurrah for catnip! It is pretty and strong, isn't it? Mine have survived being rolled on and chewed off by 10 kitties so strong it really is!

I wish you a plentiful harvest of catnip to make your furbabies really happy.:-)

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Yolanda Elizabet, I can't imagine how you can grow catnip with so many kitties!

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Aiyana said...

This is another first for me--I've never seen catnip growing. Interesting and informative.

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I have ever seen catnip bloom. The flower is quite lovely.
Enjoy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home