A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Blooming This Morning

Lilium ‘Muscadet’

The first of the Oriental hybrid lilies has opened in the Entry Garden. Last fall, I planted 8 bulbs, 2 each of Muscadet, Casablanca, Lemon Meringue and Stargazer. I didn’t think to mark which was which, so each one will be a surprise.

Once again, I have found a flower that is more attractive in person than pictured in a catalog. I hope the rest of the lilies prove to be as striking. I would love to add more to this bed, but I am already over-budget for fall bulbs. Sigh.

Salvia coccinea
Texas Hummingbird Sage

The hummingbird part of the new Butterfly/Hummingbird Garden continues to excel. No real surprise there. Most of the flowers are ones that did well for me last year. The latest flowers to open are the Texas Hummingbird Sage. I direct sowed these. Like all salvias, they germinated profusely and grew rapidly. No hummingbirds yet, though.

3 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, Blogger Colleen Vanderlinden said...

That 'Muscadet' lily is really pretty. Lilies are becoming my latest plant obsession...they're just so PRETTY! I can't wait for the photos of your other lilies, once they bloom.

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Colleen, lilies are becoming an obsession with me too!

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger Sylvana said...

Your plot lots fantastic! Nice planning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home