A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, March 06, 2005


The first crocus of the season. It is growing in front of the shed. Finally! I was getting discouraged. We had a Nor'Easter the night of Feb 28 - Mar 1. We were supposed to get up to a foot of snow, but in the end it was more like 6 or 7 inches. It just seems like spring will never get here. I want to start uncovering the gardens and get those poppy seeds planted. Believe it or not, I have more poppy seeds. I got a free packet of Corn Poppies with one of my seed orders. They are native to Europe but naturalized throughout the US so they should be easy to grow. I've decided to plant them in the garden next to the composter where I have been growing balsam so successfully for the last two years. The poppies should bloom before the balsam and provide color in the spring and early summer. But if it doesn't stop snowing, I won't be able to get any of this done. March is such a difficult month for me. Not winter. Not spring. And too early to plant much of anything. I can only gaze longingly at the bare beds and dream of the coming growing season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home