A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

More Signs of Spring

More crocuses are coming up, both in the front garden and the semi-shady garden. Also in the semi-shady garden are a few snowdrops. The biggest news by far is that the daffodils in the front garden are making an appearance. Spring is definitely on the way!

It's past Valentine's Day, but most of my neighbors still have not taken down their outdoor Christmas decorations. Some of them even still illuminate them at night. This is not a record. The all-time record is Easter. In April. The only reason for this that I have been able to come up with is that when they put up their numerous, elaborate decorations in November, it is usually still fairly warm, in the 40's and 50's. They used to wait until the weekend after Thanksgiving, but I have noticed the past couple of years that they are decorating for Christmas earlier and earlier in November. I can't do that. I like my holidays one at a time. I have to be able to enjoy Thanksgiving before I can even start thinking about Christmas.

In January when it is time to take down all the decorations, the temperatures are normally much, much colder. Even bitter at times. Even I am hesitant to spend time outside removing my few outdoor decorations. But I always do. To me, Christmas decorations always look so sad after Christmas has passed. Apparently my neighbors don't mind leaving their decorations up for months at a time. They even add other seasonal decorations for Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day and, of course, Easter. It is the oddest sight.

What got me started on this was my neighbor across the street who put a garland and red bows all the way around their yard on their new fence. They are also avid gardeners. I was looking at it today and wondering what it would look like with their spring bulbs in bloom or if they would remove the garland and bows before then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home