A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Woodpecker

I am so excited. I was outside dumping kitchen waste in the composter and filling the birdfeeder this morning when I heard a woodpecker. Remember, my last house had a woodpecker that I heard but never saw, but I haven't heard one since moving here 10 years ago. I am hoping I will actually be able to see this one. Perhaps it will visit my birdfeeder. I didn't have a birdfeeder at my last house because the squirrels chewed it up.

According to my chart of Common Feeder Birds of Eastern North America, it could be one of three types: a Hairy Woodpecker or a Downy Woodpecker or a Red-bellied Woodpecker. I will be keeping a close eye on the visitors to my birdfeeder.

Coincidentally, the National Audobon catalog arrived in the mail yesterday. There is feeder specifically for woodpeckers in it. I was tempted, but it is made of wood and the ravenous Middlesex squirrels would chew it up very quickly. I would probably be better off investing in a pair of binoculars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home