A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Garden Party

You are invited to a Garden Party. Come mingle with my roses. Enjoy their varied colors and scents.

The first on the scene is always Harison’s Yellow aka The Yellow Rose of Texas.


My only yellow rose, it brightens up a shady corner. When I visited Arlington National Cemetery in May, I noticed one in the garden at the house. You can see pictures of my visit on Flickr.

Next to step into the spotlight is Seven Sisters.


Her flowers are petite but numerous.

She is soon joined by Baronne Prevost.


My new favorite rose, La Reine Victoria, has the most beautifully shaped blooms of all my roses.


Not to be outdone, Belle de Crecy bursts on the scene.


Described as dark lavender, she is more a dark rose color in my garden.

Taking their time but worth the wait are the half dozen Blaze roses that came with the house.


Brightening up another shady corner of my yard is Sombreuil.


She is shy and tries to hide her face. I have to coax her gently to pose for my camera.

Guarded by a gargoyle, are Rosa Mundi and the Apothecary Rose.



The intensity of their color always surprises me.

One of the last to bloom for me is Mme Plantier.


Her gorgeous white flowers open from pink buds. I saw a smaller one at the National Herb Garden in May. You can see pictures of my visit on Flickr.

Here’s another late arrival to the party: Ballerina.

Her flowers are among the tiniest of all my roses.

The no-shows to the party this year are The Fairy, the Eglantine rose and Therese Bugnet, none of whom are showing a single bud, Madame Pierre Oger who has never deigned to bloom for me in the three years that she has graced my garden and my newest rose, cl Cecile Brunner who may just be shy. Perhaps she will overcome her shyness in time to join us next year.

5 Comments:

At 12:25 PM, Blogger Niels Plougmann said...

Beautiful Rose-pictures. La Reine Victoria is sooo pretty!

 
At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed my mingle, OldRoses! I think I can smell them. Why, yes I can!
Our few roses aren't in bloom yet. P bought a Therese Bugnet last year but planted it in a bad spot. It looked like it was dying when I moved it. Aphids had overwhelmed its few leaves. I am surprised to see that it survived the winter.

 
At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Reine Victoria is amazing -- it almost reminds me of a peony, only more stunning. What gorgeous photos -- thank you for sharing them!

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger joey said...

So enjoyed your 'Garden Party' and can see why Rosa Mundi is 'guarded by a gargoyle' :)

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger Sylvana said...

Wonderful roses!

I have no luck with them, but you make me want to try some more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home