A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Saturday, December 29, 2007

A Perfect Day

50°F (10°C). Global warming notwithstanding, there aren’t going to be many more balmy days this winter. I took advantage of the unseasonable warmth to do something I haven’t done in years: plant all of the bulbs that I ordered. Every year, it seems that I have more bulbs than time to plant them. Or the weather doesn’t cooperate. Or my schedule gets hectic. It really hurts to throw out unplanted bulbs.

I was very happy to be able to throw on a sweatshirt, grab my box of leftover bulbs and spend time outside deciding where I needed color next spring and digging in the dirt. Today I planted:

50 Fritillaria assyriaca
40 giant crocuses for naturalizing
6 Narcissus “Baby Moon”
5 “Little Gem” daffodils

Total bulbs planted this fall: 256 + 3 trillium + 3 peonies + 1 Jack Frost Brunnera

I'm looking forward to spring.

2 Comments:

At 5:44 PM, Blogger Connie said...

Wow...come spring you will have a feast for the eyes!
Happy New Year... and your best garden ever in 2008!

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Tina said...

Holy cow - you go girl! You deserve a nice long bubble bath (and a glass of the bubbly probably wouldn't hurt). That is going to be one fab view come spring. Take lots of pics, because, well, I wanna see! lol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home