A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Monday, December 10, 2007

Totally OT

Christmas is my favorite holiday. Every room in my house is decorated, even my bathroom. The Christmas tree is a glittering triumph, covered with my ever growing collection of glass ornaments. But how do you keep three cats away from a big, shiny toy?

You place the tree in the front window and move the cat tree from there to its new location next to the secretary, the highest point in the house which can only be accessed for a few weeks each year. The top platform of the cat tree loses its appeal as a coveted perch and instead becomes the launch pad for furry rockets on their way to the tippy top of the one piece of furniture that cannot normally be reached.


That’s Rory, who joined our family in May. I posted this picture of him soon after his arrival. He was just skin and bones covered with scraggly fur. It’s amazing what a few months of quality food and lots of TLC can do. He has filled out nicely. I’m no longer afraid that he will break when I pick him up. His coat is silky and lustrous, rivaling that of my purebred Maine Coon. He loves people, naturally assuming the role of Official Greeter. “A” tells me that he is quite a conversationalist. He rarely talks to me, preferring instead to stretch out on my lap, eyes closed, kneading my belly while purring up a storm.

5 Comments:

At 7:05 AM, Blogger David (Snappy) said...

Hi Old roses,You filled him out Rory.What is a cat tree?Do they prefer sitting on top of the dresser and not swatting the glass ornaments?
Wheres your xmas tree photo!Hope you have a fun christmas!

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Sweet Home and Garden Carolina said...

So sweet! You're a wonderful cat person.

 
At 3:51 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Ah uyes, the indoor cat-tree, what cat lover would want to do without them? Fun pic of Rory! I'm glad that he is much better now, he looks it too, what a handsome boy he has become. Lots of purrrrrs to Rory from the Bliss team. BTW Have you seen our cat-tree?

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Snappy, Yolanda Elizabet has a picture of her cat tree on her blog. Check it out!

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger kate said...

Old Roses,

Rory looks magnificent. You have done a great job giving him a good home and lots of love.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home