A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

We Have Green!

Pictures from April 20:

These were not planted in the Green Garden, but they could have been. I love the green "eyes" in them.


And here they are . . . The much anticipated green parrot tulips. They did not disappoint. I've never grown parrot tulips before so I didn't know what to expect. These are great!
This is the picture that is in my screen saver slide show at work. An attempt to be "arty"!
The wild columbine that I planted in the wildflower garden last year germinated quite well even though the seed was a few years old. Last fall, I transplanted a lot of them to spread them out. They came through the winter just fine and the first one is blooming:
They are also supposed to attract hummingbirds. Coincidentally, the wildflower garden is next to my planned hummingbird garden they should work well together.

My bleedinghearts have begun to bloom. I have two. A fernleaf bleedingheart . . .
. . . and an old-fashioned bleedingheart.
The first Johnny Jump-Up of the season:
There are a few, very few more, in various beds. No matter how hard I try, I can't get them to grow well in my yard. I know most people consider them a nuisance. I WANT them to become a nuisance! Maybe I should just stop trying so hard!

5 Comments:

At 9:34 AM, Blogger Naturegirl said...

Be still my heart!!! Parrot tulips my FAVORITE!!!

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Sylvana said...

I have lots of parrot tulips. They are really beautiful and maintain their vigor from year to year.

Columbine really does attract hummingbirds. I have lots of wild columbine as well as specialty columbine. The hummers like them all but they like the wild ones better.

 
At 3:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is growing behind the Johnny Jump Up?

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Kasmira said...

Did you grow your JJU from seed? I have tons of seedlings, but none large enough yet to bloom.

As far as culture, don't they like part shade, cool temps, and moist soil? Have you tried that? I'm growing mine at the south edge of a shady shrub border. I'll let you know how that works out.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Kasmira, I grow them from seed and tried them all over in all different conditions. I can't seem to find a spot that they like.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home