A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Friday, May 04, 2007

Hyacinth Bean Tepee

From the moment I saw this hyacinth bean tepee at the New York Botanical Gardens, I knew I wanted to try it in my own garden. I have poles already. I just had to buy the seeds and set it up. Except for one tiny detail: I don't "do" attractive. I was afraid that it would turn out looking like Kasmira's Blair Witch Project which, in all fairness, turned out to be a spectacular success. Should I chance it or not?

I went ahead and included hyacinth beans in my annual seed order in January figuring I had months to think about whether I want to do a tepee or just grow them on a trellis. I was still thinking about it when I brought out my seeds, seedlist, catalogs (to check flower colors not listed on the seed packets) and tools to plant the border along the Ugly Green Fence.


The white thing suffering from sunglare is my seedlist with all the heights which I had carefully noted last night. It was time to make a decision. Trellis or tepee? I threw caution to the wind and dragged my poles out of the shed. And you know what? It didn't turn out half bad!

There's an iris that probably should be moved and a bunch of other stuff that I haven't a clue what it is. I'm going to give them some more time before I decide whether or not to unplant them. I love that expression. Thanks, Carol! The tiny green stuff are poppies. The idea is that the poppies will grow and bloom while the beans are getting started. By the time the poppies finish, the beans should be well on their way to the top.

14 Comments:

At 1:44 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Looking good so far. What on earth are hyacinth beans?

 
At 1:59 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Yolanda Elizabet, the correct name is Dolichos lablab. I love the flowers on them.

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Naturegirl said...

I agree with yolanda looks good so far and I have a ready made twig tee pee..hummm I wonder! Have a great weekend in the garden! hugs NG

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Go for it, NatureGirl!

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Annie in Austin said...

The poppy followed by Hyacinth Bean sounds good to me, OldRoses - I like making one spot grow more than one flower.

The hyacinth bean didn't get that large when I had it in a big container, but in my friend's Austin garden, it climbed into her tree and bloomed 15 feet in the air! That would be some teepeee!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oooh, what a fun project! I can't wait to see the pictures when this teepee gets covered.

(Glad to see that you had at least one 'Greenland' tulip bloom, too, OR!)

 
At 1:18 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Annie, the package says they range in height from 6' to 20'. I just love the flowers.

Kim, I'm pretty excited about it too. I've grown Scarlet Runner beans on single poles. The vines became so long that they grew between the tops of the poles connecting them almost like an arbor.

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Carol Michel said...

OldRoses... I'd give them time, too. They could end up quite nice on that teepee.

 
At 2:01 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Carol, I hope so. I chased a squirrel out of the tepee and along the fence today with the hose becasue I thought he was digging up my beans! I'm very excited about this project.

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I love this project!! It's really beautiful! I have no idea what hyacinth beans are, can I grow them in North Texas? It really makes for a beautiful display! Happy GTS! :)

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to try this too

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Kasmira said...

I'm looking forward to photos! I made teepees out of bamboo and hot glue this year. I should post about how (not) well that has worked so far!

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Linda said...

This is a fun project and I hope yours is successful. Looking forward to seeing some more photos.

 
At 10:42 PM, Anonymous Naturalnightdew said...

Greetings,
I have planted the Hyacinth Beans. It is a beautiful vine with pretty purple flowers that are fragrant.It grows quick and heavy.I have mine on a four square trellis. Good Luck in your project.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home