A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Weirdness Chronicles 2008 - Chapter 4

It’s a well-known fact that I love iris. Almost as much as I love heirloom roses. I have bearded iris, Japanese iris, Siberian iris, iris bucharica, iris dardanus and miniature iris. I don’t have a favorite. But I do have some oddities. Like the iris that bloomed in full shade. And this:


This is a Japanese iris that was part of a collection. Although planted years ago, it was only last year that two of the six (I think?) bloomed.

The blooms were floppy and mis-shapen but I thought, hey, it's their first time. They'll get it right next year. Except they didn't. The purple one shows no inclination to bloom and the white one is just as floppy and mis-shapen as last year.

Weird.

5 Comments:

At 11:12 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

That looks like an iris ensata.

They are floppy, although yours is a bit extreme:

http://images.google.com/images?q=iris%20ensata&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger EAL said...

I have none, but I am encouraged that you have some that bloomed in full shade. Those would be the irises for me.

 
At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Pond Supplies said...

I am glad you were able to spend a enjoyable day in the garden. The mosses are so pretty on the tree. I'm just so envious! It's absolutely beautiful and a sure sign that fairies inhabit your garden!

 
At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Mercy plantarea trandafirilor said...

This flower is so beautiful!

 
At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Alex Dumpfree said...

I'm so pleased to find your blog, I also very much like your site content and articles, in addition I have added to my favorites, is there the honor and opportunity to invite you to my site to your blog then?
http://www.dqglobal.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home