A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Monday, March 03, 2008

Signs of Spring

I have had crocus try to bloom before today. Thanks to the squirrels or perhaps rabbits, this is all that I have found until today’s blossom:


Chewed foliage and scattered petals.

Happily whoever is nibbling my crocus doesn’t seem to care for the few snowdrops that are blooming.


I wish I could get snowdrops to naturalize in my yard. They such a welcome sight after a long dreary winter.

No sign yet of any columbine, but a little digging through the leaves covering my flower beds reveal that last year’s wintersown survivor of both squirrels and myself, is preparing to make its debut.

Wild Purple Foxglove


I have my fingers crossed that the squirrels will not chew off the flower stalk before it has a chance to bloom.

4 Comments:

At 7:58 AM, Blogger CanadianGardenJoy said...

Love your signs of Spring ... we have so fard to go yet with that happening here.
I have had terrible luck with foxglove .. three years of trying and only foliage .. no flowers. So I have to appreciate other peoples ! LOL
Joy
Good luck with those squirrels !

 
At 1:47 AM, Blogger Sigrun said...

Good morning, I see you are also happy that spring is comming soon! Yesterday we had a bit snow, but today the sun is shining, but the cars are frostet.

Sigrun

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Gardening for Fun said...

The snowdrop plant looks wonderful. I'll have to keep my eye out for those. Great pictures by the way.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Ki said...

Such a poignant picture of the crocus. Your snowdrops look wonderful and healthy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home