A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Expensive “Weeds”

A couple of years ago, I posted about Breck’s selling columbine as expensive plants that are a nuisance in my garden. Recently, a Dutch Gardens catalog landed in my mailbox that contained an even more outrageously priced garden nuisance.

“Zebra Malva: Tons of Perky, Bicolor Blooms”. I have to agree with their description of “Unstoppable!”. I grew Malva sylvestris ‘Zebrina’ from seed a couple of years ago and haven’t been able to get rid of it since. Literally hundreds of seedlings pop up every spring. No matter how ruthlessly I weed them out and deadhead the few plants that I allow to remain and bloom, hundreds more show up the following spring.

Dutch Gardens is selling them “1 plant for $12.95 or 3 plants for $35.97”. At those prices, instead of ripping them out, I should pot up the seedlings, sell them and pay off my mortgage.

1 Comments:

At 7:59 PM, Blogger Carol Michel said...

I agree, pot up what you have and make some real money! There should be laws to stop that kind of selling! I hope they feel guilty about it.

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

 

Post a Comment

<< Home