A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

First Snowdrop

A lot of gardeners seem to have snowdrops blooming. Even though it is a few weeks too early, I decided to take a look to see if I have any at least peeking out of the soil. I do, and some of them are blooming.


I just love the green spots, don’t you? This is the snowdrop by the birdbath that always blooms first. I’ve been trying to get more snowdrops growing in my yard. I plant them all over, but they never seem to come up in the spring.

A couple that I planted in the Semi-Shady Garden miraculously survived.



It was 70° today so it certainly felt like spring, but it’s still very early for snowdrops to be blooming. Or is it? I checked my archives for 2005, 2006 and 2007. It’s nice to have those records. It’s not too early for snowdrops. In fact, it’s a little late. They’ve been blooming in January recently instead of the last week in February/first week in March that I had been accustomed to historically.

Gardeners know all about Global Warming.

3 Comments:

At 10:28 PM, Blogger Carol Michel said...

Wow, 70 degrees, that is a bit warm for February. I love the snowdrops, and don't know why I haven't planted any.

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger countrygarden said...

wow, 70 degrees. i thought we were doing good with 50 and it feels like spring. beautiful little snowdrop.

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Doctor Mom said...

Oh, lucky you to have snowdrops in February!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home