A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Duke Farms

Duke Farms recently announced that it is “going green”. You can read the press release here. What caught my eye is the fact that they are closing the indoor Display Gardens which I visited last year with the Master Gardeners. I went back today for a last look. It was especially bittersweet as one of the docents told us that what is being kept quiet is that the new facility is much smaller than the existing conservatory so not all of the plants will be moved. No other gardens are willing to take them so they will be lost.

Since I had already documented the different gardens during my last visit, this time I concentrated on colors and shapes that struck my fancy.




I had fun with patterns. . .





. . . and perspectives. This is the same bridge from both ends.



It looks completely different, doesn’t it?

Hmmmm . . . are we in Japan . . . . or New Jersey?


As before, my favorite gardens were the French Garden with pansies this time instead of tulips:


And the English Garden:


I just loved the snapdragons. I hope my snapdragons look as good this year.

I’m so glad that I had another chance to see these wonderful gardens before they are gone forever. More photos of my visit can be seen on Flickr.

6 Comments:

At 6:54 AM, Blogger Tina said...

Is there a reason they're going smaller?
Tis sad that a lot of the plants will be lost. Did you tell them you had room in your yard?
;)

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if they would donate some of the plants to local gardeners? Or sell them? Seems such a shame to lose them entirely.

I especially like the second one down. It looks like something from the world of Dr. Seuss!

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Unfortunately, not much information about the planned changes is being released.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger kate smudges said...

It is too bad that they are closing the indoor gardens - they are beautiful. It's sad to think of the plants that might be lost.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger lisa said...

Great shots! Sad that even gardens are down-sizing these days.

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

So sad to think of these beautiful gardens closing and plants being lost.
Your photos are wonderful! Thanks for showing this lovely place.
I hope you have good weather for the BBG tomorrow. I'm sure you'll enjoy it just as much as we did. It was so gratifying to see the spring blooms. In the conservatory my favorite house was the Temporate. There are some fabulous things blooming in there! Check out the sweetly scented big yellow shrub at the top on the right...and if you think of it, write down the name for me please (it's tucked in down near the base). It's a member of the legume family, and absolutely gorgeous.
Have a fun day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home