A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

New Butterfly

My yard attracts a lot of butterflies, but not a lot of different ones. There are skippers, cabbage whites, swallowtails and monarchs. I’m so envious of bloggers in other states who have such a variety of butterflies visit them.

While making my daily run to the composter which involves a stop at the butterfly bush, I saw a brand new butterfly.


I ran back for my camera. He was very shy so it was difficult to get a good shot. I’ve been trying to ID this butterfly. It’s some kind of fritillary. I’m just not sure which one.


If you click on this one to enlarge it, you’ll see a monarch on the same flower. My butterfly bush has a steady stream of monarchs taking a nectar break while they migrate south.

5 Comments:

At 4:20 PM, Blogger Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

I think you may have an Aphrodite Fritillary. The orange ones are so had to figure out sometimes! I have been very surprised to still see Monarchs here this late.

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Connie said...

Whatever it is, it is pretty! I have had so many more butterflies this year than in previous years. But, sadly, I have yet to see a Monarch here.....they are so majestic!

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Sue Swift said...

Hi – this is an invitation to join the Garden Bloggers Retro carnival. I don’t know if you’ve ever come across the concept of a Blog carnival – if not I’ve explained it in detail on my site today (Oct 1). But basically the idea is to revive an old post which you think is worth rereading, or which you think new readers might enjoy. Send me the link to the post, and in November I’ll publish a series of posts describing and linking to all the posts people have nominated.
I hope you’ll join in and we have a fun carnival!
Sue

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger MrBrownThumb said...

Haha!

I too have butterfly envy when I go around and visit various garden blogs.

I've not seen this one before.

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Sue, that's a great idea! I'll dig through my posts and send you a link.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home