A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Monday, September 17, 2007

First Bloom

I did something I shouldn’t have. I know better. I bought a plant that was budded. Yes, I know that conventional wisdom is that you should purchase a plant with neither flowers nor buds so that it can put all of its energy into settling into its new home in your garden. But it was a large, healthy plant and it was supposed to bloom now anyways.


The pink anemone, “Prince Henry” that I bought at Well Sweep Herb Farm has finally bloomed. It’s a gorgeous double.

The white one, “Honorine Jobert”, has shown no signs of developing buds but it is healthy. I’m confident that it will survive the winter and reward me with flowers next year. I’m looking forward to this one. Thanks to Heirloom Flowers I discovered that it is an heirloom from the 1880’s.

3 Comments:

At 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did not know that "conventional wisdom"! I thought buds and blooms proved the plant was healthy. So much to learn.... : )

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Connie said...

Love the two-tone pink color on this bloom!

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Annie in Austin said...

It might be conventional, OldRoses, but is it wisdom? So many of us like to experiment, to perform plant rescues and to grow out-of-zone species that the buds evident in the store may be the only ones we ever see! Good luck!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

 

Post a Comment

<< Home