A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day

I cheated and took my photos yesterday because I spent today at Home Gardener’s School. The summer was so cool that the annuals didn’t really get going until now.

The cosmos is looking fabulous.





I always stop deadheading after Labor Day to allow the plants to set seed for next year.

You can see Persian Carpet zinnia under the Bright Lights cosmos. Both are volunteers from last year. Here are some more zinnias:




I love the way that Scarlet King zinnia wrapped itself around the hummingbird feeder. Here’s another anomaly:


A Black Prince snapdragon hiding amongst the Empress of India nasturtiums.

Also from the Butterfly/Hummingbird Garden:



The Mystery Plant was identified for me at Home Gardener’s School.


It’s a white Joe Pye Weed. It blends right in with the butterfly bush and the Kiss-Me-Over-The-Garden-Gate.



I still have some Echinacea although it is looking pretty sad.



The rudbeckia is still going strong.


The nasturtiums in the strawberry pot have finally begun to bloom.


My hanging baskets are really looking ratty.


The impatiens are holding up well despite the cool night temperatures.



Not holding up well against the squirrels is the chelone that I bought at Well Sweep Herb Farm.


They keep digging it out and I keep replanting it. If it survives, it will be a miracle.

They’ve been so busy with this plant that they are neglecting my hostas in the front!


The Nikko Blue hydrangeas have turned a dusky rose color.


I like to leave the best for last.


A second flush of blooms from Baronne Prevost

4 Comments:

At 6:40 AM, Blogger Digital Flower Pictures said...

Lovely stuff. Scarlet King is my favorite.

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Rose said...

I certainly enjoyed looking at the colorful flowers and plants growing in your garden right now. I am so happy that it is starting to cool down a little in my area now, so that hopefully we will also begin to see more color emerging in the garden.

Rose
http://gardeningforhealth.blogspot.com

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Sweet Home and Garden Carolina said...

Hi Old Roses,

Lovely showing of flowers. That photo you labeled White Joe Pye Weed looks like Ragweed to me. Joe Pye Weed has broader leaves.

 
At 1:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful pics. Your garden is full of pretty flowers this year. Love the zinnias:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home