A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The Best News

I have been freaking out since receiving a diagnosis of arthritis in my hip. I'm a gardener. I need to be able to move around, lift and carry, dig, push wheelbarrows. I can't have a degenerative disease in one of my major joints. So it was with much fear and trepidation this morning that I brought my x-rays and my sore hip to an orthopedic surgeon.

He looked at my x-rays. He examined my hip. Then he looked at my x-rays once more and pronounced them normal. I don't have arthritis. I have bursitis. 30 days of anti-inflammatories. Six weeks of physical therapy. Ice packs, 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off. And I'll be cured. I was thrilled. I bet he has never had a patient who has been so excited about having bursitis!

My prescription is filled, my appointment for PT has been made and I'm icing my hip. This is one time when I will be following a doctor's instructions to the letter. The busy fall planting season is upon us. I have new beds to dig, established beds to widen, bulbs to plants, perennials to be divided and transplanted. As Colleen said, "The garden is never done".

5 Comments:

At 8:44 PM, Blogger Gardenmomma Chris said...

Congratulations on your bursitis!! :) Happy icing!

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news! I'm happy for you.

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Gina said...

a few weeks compared to a lifetime really IS awesome news! congrats!

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on only having bursitis. I'm glad it's something that can be cured. Yeah.

I've been having constant pain in both my arms for almost a year now and they can't figure it out. I can still do somethings but I can't dig and lift anything heavy. My husband runs in the other direction when he sees me headed to the garden because he knows soon he'll soon hear that dreaded word, Honey...

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Sweet Home and Garden Carolina said...

So glad to hear it's curable bursitis. I've been a close friend with ice for the past two years after having Planter Faciitis ( heel spurs ) and subsequent surgery on both feet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home