A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Monday, September 17, 2007

Home Gardener’s School – Fall 2007

When I first started attending the Home Gardener’s School in the spring of 2005, I didn’t know anyone there. I went to class alone, I ate lunch alone, I perused the book and plant sales alone. Now, thanks to the Master Gardener and Rutgers Gardens volunteer programs, I see people I know in the halls and classrooms, the plant and the book sales and there is always someone to eat lunch with. Home Gardener’s School has become a social as well as educational event for me.

My first class of the day on Saturday was “Arranging Plants in the Landscape”. I’ve been taking as many design classes as possible. I couldn't design my way out of a paper bag. One issue presented in this lecture that really caught my attention is that when you are planning a landscape, site trees and shrubs according to their size in ten years.

Next up was a class taught by one of my favorite instructors, Judy Glattstein. She gave a wonderful presentation on the gardens of Ireland. Ireland? Who knew? But it makes sense. The climate is wonderful and quite a few English people settled there. My take-away from this class was "vertical gardening". Lots of stuff climbing on walls. My yard is surrounded by an ugly chainlink fence. Food for thought.

Lunch was shared with two of my fellow Master Gardeners.

Then it was off to another class taught by Ms. Glattstein. This time it was "Plants for Autumn Interest". I've been trying to extend the flowering season of my gardens into the fall. According to the handout, I am right on track with the plants I have been buying and intend to buy.

My last class of the day was given by Bruce Crawford, Director of Rutgers Gardens on "The Garden Room". My yard, of course, is much too small for garden rooms, but I've found that once people discover that I'm a Master Gardener, they ask all sorts of questions and for my advice on landscaping. Like I said, I need all the help with design that I can get. Bruce always has unique ideas that I enjoy.

And thanks to the class on autumn interest, I was able to ID my latest mystery plant. It's a white Joe Pye weed.

I'm already looking forward to the next Home Gardener's School in the spring.

2 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, Blogger Carol Michel said...

Sounds like a lot of fun to attend Home Gardener's School. I'm also always looking for more help with design.

Carol at May Dreams Gardens

 
At 3:58 AM, Blogger Rosengeranium said...

I agree; school always sounds fun to me - when it's about a topic I care for. I wish I could attend, but there still is only 24 hours in a day...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home