A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Monday, March 31, 2008

Twitter

Maybe it’s due to my age, but I’ve never quite understood this “social networking” stuff. Seems to me that it requires an awful lot of time on the computer. Time that I’d rather be spending in the garden or if it is too dark or too cold to garden, reading a good book or watching a good movie. There’s been a lot of chatter about Twitter on garden blogs lately. I didn’t pay much attention until the proverbial lightbulb went off over my head.

My company forces me to use a Blackberry. “Force” is not too strong a term. The expectation is that once you are issued your Blackberry anyone can call/email/PIN you any time 24/7 and you will respond. If you don’t respond, management will demand to know why. I. Kid. You. Not.

So as long as I have to garden with the despised Blackberry attached to me, checking it periodically for messages and network status updates, why not use Twitter to blog directly from the garden? No waiting to clean up and then compose a properly spelled, grammatically correct, interesting post. Just a quick “My roses all made it through the winter” or “Rose Campion coming up in one of the wintersowing containers”.

Starting today, I am tweeting as OldRoses. “Follow” me if you’d like to know what I’m up to in the garden.

5 Comments:

At 7:55 AM, Blogger James Mann said...

I am some glad I am my own boss now. NO MORE controlling my life, even after hours.

I have been using Twitter, sparingly, for a while now and don't see the benefit of it unless you are willing to follow it closely and respond quickly.

I would be happy to follow you on Twitter. I like to people to follow that are related to the things I love.

P.S. Now that's a really cool looking Twitter background. Mine is my company logo, how boring is that. I may just have to go in and change mine to something more appealing.

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Gina said...

OR - I too have a blackberry for work and frequently get "well i emailed you this weekend..."

I feel like im being dragged, kicking and screaming to Twitter. I did create a profile but that's as far as I've gotten.

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Careful, Gina. Twitter is addictive.

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger lisa said...

My co-worker has a MySpace page as well as LiveJournal, but it's all I can do to keep up with my blog and read all the ones I enjoy. Just not enough time and too many birds/plants/animals/scenery to get out and enjoy. But I think it's nice how people can stay connected so many ways. But connected to work? Bummer!

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

I signed up, but haven't done anything with it yet. Like Lisa, I feel like I can't fit another 'thing' in!
Good idea for you though, keeping track of your WS, etc. with the Blackberry. Clever you to be able to figure out how to use a Blackberry!!
I'm happy to know when you scoop your litter box :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home