A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, May 15, 2005

Iris

The iris have finally begun to bloom. Of course the first clump to bloom is behind the hose cart and under the rosebush right next to the ugly outlet pipe for the sump pump. Not a pretty picture, but I posted it anyways. I'm trying to figure out what kind of iris they are. They have "beards" so they are some sort of bearded iris, but the blossoms are smaller and more delicate than the bearded iris with which I am familiar.

The first catalogs for fall bulbs and plants have arrived and one of them says English iris prefers semi-shade. That would work in a few places in my yard. They would make a wonderful addition to the bearded iris, Siberian iris and Japanese iris that I have already. Perhaps next year I will order some. This year I am ordering Iris bucharica which is native to Afghanistan and Iris dardanus , my first heirloom iris.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home