A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Friday, May 13, 2005

What's Blooming Now

While I am waiting for the iris and the columbine to bloom, I am enjoying lily of the valley and wood hyacinths. I planted lily of the valley in three places in my yard. Under the lilac bush, in the semi-shady garden right next to it and in the shady garden. It refused to grow in the semi-shady garden at all. It reluctantly grows in the shady garden. It exuberantly grows and spreads under the lilac bush. The scent is wonderful. I didn't think of it when I planted it, but wouldn't it smell great if the lilac bloomed also?

The shady garden gets sunlight only very early in the morning. It is in deep shade the rest of the day. Also reluctantly growing there are some wood hyacinths. Originally there were pink, white and blue. Only a couple of blue have survived.

2 Comments:

At 12:43 AM, Blogger Sylvana said...

That's weird. I have Lily of the Valley growing in two fo my shady gardens. It is supposed to be a shade plant. Very interesting.- oh, and they will take over everything.

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Isn't it bizarre? They are growing in the sunniest place that I planted them in. I also have day lilies that are trying to grow into the shade garden. There is some really strange stuff going on in my yard!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home