A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Green Thumb Sunday

Join




There is a page on the Rutgers Gardens website devoted to the Volunteer Program. There you'll find information on becoming a volunteer, available volunteer opportunities and the benefits offered to volunteers. One benefit not mentioned is the opportunity to preview the plant sales.

I was at Rutgers Gardens on Friday, doing last minute prep work on my plot and getting the herb bed into a presentable condition for the Open House on Saturday. Before I left, I took a stroll through the area where the plant sale was going to be held. And that's when I saw them: russian sages!

I had to be at the Gardens at 8:30 AM the following morning. Normally, being anywhere first thing in the morning is nearly impossible for me because I work nights. That morning I had no trouble getting up, getting dressed, and feeding the crew. There was virtually no traffic so I was at the Gardens bright and early to pick out the best of the sages and set it aside.

I was too tired to plant it yesterday and it has rained all day today. I had some time in between thunderstorms to try out my new plant in different locations. I've decided that I like it best in the border along the Ugly Green Fence behind the White Swan echinacea. The dark color of the fence highlights the light color of the foliage and I like the contrast between the tall airy sage and the bulkier, shorter coneflowers.



Gardeners, Plant and Nature lovers can join in every Sunday, visit As the Garden Grows for more information.

5 Comments:

At 10:07 PM, Blogger LostRoses said...

I'm so glad you snagged a Russian Sage! Funny how we can pop out of bed with no problem when we have an agenda, isn't it? I think it will look stunning with the white echinacea in front. Very cool!

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Digital Flower Pictures said...

Russian Sage has been having a great year around here. It is always nice but this year it seems a little better. Glad everything come together for the plant sale. I think I would plant it a little further back than the Coneflower.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

LostRoses, I didn't even need my alarm!

Digital, it will be planted further back. Right now, there are other plants in the spot where I want it. I have to move them first. We had violent thunderstorms all afternoon. While I'm willing to garden in the rain, I stay inside when there is lightning.

 
At 2:41 AM, Blogger RUTH said...

I'm always happy to get out of bed if there's anything to do with gardening involved :o)
I like the sage and the white echinacea....Happy GTS

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

What a great score! And it will look nice along the fence, although the KMOTGG are doing quite nicely breaking it up as well. (Oh, and those pictures of the garden you visited with all of the Russian sage has me drooling. I need more!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home