A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Friday, June 03, 2005

Roses and More Iris

It's my favorite time of year. The roses are beginning to bloom. Harrison's Yellow has finished it's show and now it's Barrone Prevost (introduced 1842). Mme. Plantier (introduced 1835) is covered with pink buds that will soon become white flowers. The Blaze roses aren't far behind. Reine Des Violettes (introduced 1860) is still hanging in there and will produce a few blooms. The only one that is not doing well is the Apothecary Rose. I am considering moving it into the Medieval Garden where it will get more sun. Zephirine Drouhin has surprised me with a few tiny leaves. I guess it was just playing dead. The Fairy and General Jacqueminot that I purchased at the drug store are both covered with leaves but no buds.

More iris is blooming. A Siberian iris and one that I honestly can't remember what it is. There is one last Japanese iris in the Cosmos Garden that may or may not bloom. It didn't bloom for many years and then surprised me about four years ago.

2 Comments:

At 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just spent almost an hour looking at your photos!
So lovely!
I especially love blue and purple flowers, so really enjoyed my visit.
I'll be back!

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Thanks so much for your kind words. Please visit my favorite garden blogs. Lots of great garden pictures on them too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home