A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, June 19, 2005

Iris Addict

I've been reading in various garden blogs that some gardeners can't be trusted to go to any store with a garden center without coming home with a carload of plants. Except for roses, I don't have that problem. My downfall is catalogs. All of those gorgeous pictures just scream "Order Me!". Bearing in mind that I have already ordered bulbs and plants from three catalogs, I am now agonizing over the latest Springhill catalog.

At first it was just going to be some more helleborus and primroses. The hellebores that I planted last fall are growing nicely and I have hopes that they will flower next spring. I would like to plant more. And I have expanded the bed where I have the primroses so more primroses are in order.

Then the iris caught my eye. Yellow Siberian iris would be great in the Yellow/Orange Garden. Look, PINK Siberian iris! And pink Japanese iris. And red too! I only have purple right now. Last year I ordered two iris, only one of which, Ace of Spades, came up. I can't remember what the other was. (That's one of the purposes of this blog. To record what I planted, where I planted it, when I planted it and occasionally, why I planted it). I have ordered two more varieties of iris , I'm planning on adding English iris next year and I'm toying with the idea of a whole new bed that could contain Dutch iris, among other things. It's beginning to dawn on me that I have an iris obsession.

I've narrowed it down to the yellow Siberian iris and another iris for the Purple Garden, Batik iris . I've wanted this one for a few years. It's a zebra iris. Now they have new colors, Gnu Flash which is gray, Tiger Honey in yellow and a pink called Baboon Bottom . I. Kid. You. Not. I don't care that it costs $7.99. It's a must-have. What a conversation piece. "And over here is my baboon's ass!"

I'm thinking of changing my blogger name to OldRoses&Iris.

5 Comments:

At 9:07 PM, Blogger crazygramma said...

Ha Ha thats so funny I think I will get a Baboon Bottom and put it next to my gnome.

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

What a great idea! Would that make it a "moon" garden?

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger Sylvana said...

My husband and I always laugh at flower names like that. We say that some people who name flowers must be depressed, anti-social hermits...
"love-lies-bleeding", bleeding heart", "drunkards dream", "baboon bottom"...

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger crazygramma said...

Perfect response maybe we should tell Snappy about it then he too can have the moon garden he wants.

 
At 3:42 AM, Blogger miiabyt said...




Hey,

Thanks for sharing this blog its very helpful to implement in our work





Regards.

LANDSCAPE COMPANY IN HARYANA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home