A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Friday, June 17, 2005

Cool Weather and Cool Links

Ahhhhh . . . I am revelling in the cool weather that our wonderful neighbors to the north in Canada are sharing with us. I am not nearly as happy in the winter when they are equally generous with their arctic air. But during the hot sticky summer months I welcome the refreshing breezes that they send our way. Along with this wecome relief has come much needed rain. I love falling asleep to the sound of rain. Today, we had violent thunderstorms but it was not the thunder and lightening or the wind gusts that woke me, it was the sound of the rain. I smiled at the thought of the thorough watering my gardens were getting before drifting off to sleep once more. I am working four long night shifts this week and sleeping during the day. With all this rain, no gardening is getting done. Instead, I would like to share some blogs I have been reading.

North Country Maturing Gardener is written by a, ahem, mature gardener living in northern New Hampshire. She has Master Gardener certifications in both Massachusetts and New Hampshire so her blog is chock full of great information and advice. She welcomes questions. I asked about iris and she responded with an entire post devoted to answering my question! So feel free to drop by and pick her brains.

Mia, the Nature Nut is a plant collector. She has some really unusual speciman plants in her gardens. What I find most attractive about her blog are the pictures. She has drop dead gorgeous photos of plants, foliage and flowers. Truly eye candy for gardeners. Check out this blog for ideas on new and unusual plants or just for the pictures.

My favorite blogs are the ones written by people like me. Just backyard gardeners, always trying new things and learning as we go along. Cincinnati Cape Cod is written by such a gardener. I think part of the charm of this blog for me is that she lives in a Cape Cod like I do. She also blogs about clearing and planting her beds like I do complete with pictures. Gee, maybe she is me! Be sure to read her post on Worm Lasagna. It's not what you think.

2 Comments:

At 8:32 AM, Blogger The Nature Nut said...

Hi OldRoses,

thanks for your nice comments about my garden blog. I am a recent, but regular, reader here at A Garden Year.

I find that I'm so busy with my own garden that I don't often take the time to walkabout my neighbourhood to see other gardens.

One of the things I really like about garden blogs, is that you get to visit other gardens all over the world. And you can do it in the middle of the night in your PJs!

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Kasmira said...

Aw....I don't mind the link at all. I'm slowly expanding my gardening blogroll too. Reading garden blogs keeps me sane when I'm trapped on the 4th floor of a downtown office building all day long!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home