A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Garden Gnome

It's too hot to post. It's too hot to do just about anything except complain about the heat. Lacking air conditioning, I've been forced to do the unthinkable and go to the mall. I'm not a shopper by nature. And I loathe malls probably because of the crowds. Online shopping has been a godsend for me. Desperate times require desperate measures, however. Monday was one of those times. I packed up my coupons which I had been saving for just such an occasion and drove to the mall seeking respite from the heat.

I did well, finding everything that I needed to purchase and a few other impulse items, all on sale. Must have been the effect of the heat. I am not normally an impulse shopper. For once, though, the heat addling my brain was a good thing. I was in Fortunoffs and on a whim did a quick tour of their outdoor department. And there they were. Garden gnomes. On sale even.

I should backtrack a little here. I have been coveting garden gnomes for almost two decades. I was first introduced to them during an episode of "Fawlty Towers". The final scene with John Cleese striding down the road with a garden gnome tucked under his arm intending to use it to inflict bodily harm still makes me howl with laughter. Any time I see them now, I burst out laughing. I have wanted one for my garden in the worst way.

Back to Fortunoffs. Reasonably priced, 25% off and so cute. I bought one, giggling the entire time. I tried to explain to the cashier why I was so amused, but she must not have had a sense of humor or maybe she was just constipated (you know the look, right?).

Since this was not a planned purchase, I can't decide where to put him. He's hanging out in the shady garden for now. I'm sure he will get moved around a lot until I come to a decision on where he looks best.

3 Comments:

At 1:06 PM, Blogger David (Snappy) said...

I got gnomes from my late grandads garden.The house was being sold but i just could not leave them.I thought of the new owners breaking them or putting them in the bin.
I brought them from Selby fifty miles to castleford.I will photograph them for you to see them.
Its an english tradition but i dont know why.Maybe representing natures spirits.
they have been loved or loathed.I love them.
when i did my sisters garden i found a stone gnome slightly chipped.I had to rehome him!!
I think i have about five.Will photograph them now.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Sylvana said...

I AM SOOO JEALOUS!!! I want some gnomes! I have a senario all planned out for them. I was going to have them roasting a pink flamingo on a spit. :))

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Moonwishes said...

I always thought they were cute. Yours looks lovely in the garden!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home