A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Thursday, May 26, 2005

What's Blooming Now

It's been cool and rainy for over a week now. So cool, in fact, that my heat comes on periodically. Daytime temperatures have struggled to get into the 60's while the nights have dropped to the 40's. We've been getting much needed rain. The plants are loving it. I have lots of little seedlings, some of which I have no idea what they are. Despite all my lists and maps, when I actually did the planting earlier this month, I deviated significantly from my elaborate diagrams. I can only guess at the identity of some of the plants that are growing.

Quite a few them will never reach maturity. I have confirmed that I have a rabbit problem. There was a rustling under one of my hydrangeas in front of my house. It took some doing because it is a large bush, but I managed to flush out the noisemaker. It was a baby rabbit. Very cute, but very hungry. When I looked again the next day, most of the seedlings in my front garden had been eaten entirely or partially chewed. Too bad because I had planted seashell cosmos , Scabious mix zinnias , mystery marigolds that I received as a free trial and old-fashioned climbing petunias. I think it would have been a pretty cottage garden looking bed.

Not much gardening is getting done with all the rain, but I have been taking pictures. Here are some, in no particular order.

2 Comments:

At 8:15 AM, Blogger crazygramma said...

The darn bunnies. Your gardens are looking really good though despite the damage.

I really love the purple garden.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

It just amazes me how much survives despite the hungry rodents. Also interesting is what they like and don't like. Some stuff they're not touching at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home